Philadelphia Phillies right fielder Bryce Harper made some extra cash during MLB awards season.
In the third year of his 13-year / $ 330 million contract, Harper received a base salary of $ 26 million.
Earlier this month, he won an additional $ 50,000 by winning the Silver Slugger Award for National League outfielder. Harper’s deal also includes bonuses of $ 50,000 if he wins a Gold Glove Award, is on an All-Star team, or is the NLCS MVP.
He triggered an even bigger bonus in his contract by winning the NL MVP on Thursday, with Bob Nightengale from United States today noting that Harper’s contract says he gets an additional $ 500,000 for winning first place in the senior circuit’s most coveted award.
The difference between first and second place for Harper was pretty drastic. If his former teammate Juan Soto had won the MVP title and Harper had finished second, he would have received a bonus of $ 50,000, rather than the $ 500,000 he received for finishing first. A third place for Harper in NL’s MVP vote would earn him an additional $ 25,000.
If Harper ever wins the World Series MVP, he will earn a bonus of $ 100,000.
Now 29, Harper is expected to earn $ 26 million in 2022. He has 10 years and $ 248 million left on the biggest contract in franchise history.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Bryce Harper wins 2021 National League MVP
- Kevin Long on Kyle Schwarber: “I think he would suit the Phillies”
- Mock Offseason 1.0: Phillies meet most needs, but still need to break luxury tax threshold
- Zack Wheeler finishes second in voting for NL’s Cy Young Award
- Phillies Dive Into Shortstop Market, But May Be Just Side Players
- Which free agents could the Phillies sign without giving up interim pay?
- Veteran MLB writer predicts Phillies to sign Michael Conforto and Kenley Jansen
- Bryce Harper’s 5 Best Tours in 2021
- JT Realmuto could have been a professional athlete in many sports, according to his former coaches
- 2021 Phillies Walk-In Songs