• Winner of the MTN DEW contest in 3 points: Karl Anthony Towns
CLEVELAND “A great victory for great men?” Karl-Anthony Towns certainly defied stereotypes when the Timberwolves center won the MTN DEW 3-Point Contest in record fashion, becoming one of the tallest players to do so at 6-foot-11.
He also did it with smashing style, beating guards Trae Young, whose reach extends into midfield, and Luke Kennard, one of the most effective long-range shooters in the game.
Towns scored 29 points in the final to pass Kennard by three. Neither Kennard nor Young had a chance to tie or beat Towns with their final shot. He became the biggest winner since 7-0 Dirk Nowitzki in 2006 and the first center to do so.
Towns proclaims himself ‘the greatest shooter of all time’ and said Saturday’s victory was ‘a good thing to put on my CV’.
“I’m super happy to have won,” he said. “I have such high standards for myself. No one can be harder on my game than me. I didn’t come here to compete. I came here to win.
I told you…
— Karl-Anthony Towns (@KarlTowns) February 20, 2022
Towns is shooting 41% from deep this season and 39.6% for his career. He said he had “begged the NBA for years” to participate and was motivated when the call finally came to be a contender in Cleveland.
Towns said he was an underdog in the contest “because I’m big” and was eager to make a statement.
“It’s for all the tall kids who have been told they can’t be successful unless they play with their back to the basket,” he said.
–Shaun Powell, NBA.com
MTN DEW 3-Point Contest 2022 Recap
MTN DEW 3-Point Contest Participants
• CJ McCollumNew Orleans Pelicans
• Trae YoungAtlanta Hawks
• Zach LaVineChicago Bulls
• Desmond BaneMemphis Grizzlies
• Towns of Karl-AnthonyMinnesota Timberwolves
• Fred VanVleetToronto Raptors
• Luke KennardLos Angeles Clippers
• Patty MillsBrooklyn Nets
About MTN DEW 3-Point Contest 2022
NEW YORK – NBA stars Zach LaVine of the Chicago Bulls, Karl-Anthony Towns of the Minnesota Timberwolves, Fred VanVleet of the Toronto Raptors and Trae Young of the Atlanta Hawks headline the MTN DEW 2022® 3-Point Contest, taking place Saturday, February 19 at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse in Cleveland. The eight-man field for the two-round timed shot competition also includes Memphis Grizzlies guard Desmond Bane, LA Clippers guard Luke Kennard, Portland Trail Blazers guard CJ McCollum and Brooklyn Nets guard Patty Mills.
MTN DEW® The 3-point contest is part of state farm® Saturday Night All Starwhich also includes AT&T Slam Dunk and the Taco Bell® Skills Challenge. All-Star Saturday Night airs live on TNT and ESPN Radio in the United States at 8 p.m. ET.
An MTN DEW for the first time® The champion of the 3-point contest will be crowned this year. Two-time AT&T Slam Dunk Champion LaVine will make his third straight MTN DEW appearance® 3 point competition. Young will compete for the second time. Bane, Mills, Towns and VanVleet are participating for the first time, as are Ohio natives Kennard and McCollum.
The MTN DEW 3-Point Contest will once again feature THE DEW ZONE,™ two deep firing slots positioned equidistant between the traditional racks at the top of the 3-point arc and the adjacent “wing” rack. Each of the two ball pedestals in THE DEW ZONE are located 6 feet behind the 3-point line and contain a special green ball, the “3-Ball”. Shots made with the green ball are worth three points.
—NBA (@NBA) February 9, 2022
In addition to THE DEW ZONE, the MTN DEW 3-Point Contest will feature five main shooting locations: four racks containing four official NBA balls (worth one point each) and one multicolored “silver” ball (worth two points), and a special rack with all the silver balls. Each participant can place the rack with all the silver balls on one of the five main shooting locations. Each ball on this rack is worth two points.
Each competitor will have 70 seconds (1:10) to shoot as many 27 balls as they can, with a maximum possible score of 40 points in a round. The three contestants with the highest scores in the first round will advance to the championship round. The player with the highest score in the Championship Round will win the MTN DEW 3-Point Contest. Click here for a full explanation of the rules and a diagram showing the filming locations.
MTN DEW Contest Winners in 3 Points
- 1986 – Larry Bird, Boston
- 1987 – Larry Bird, Boston
- 1988 – Larry Bird, Boston
- 1989 – Dale Ellis, Seattle
- 1990 – Craig Hodges, Chicago
- 1991 – Craig Hodges, Chicago
- 1992 – Craig Hodges, Chicago
- 1993 – Mark Price, Cleveland
- 1994 – Mark Price, Cleveland
- 1995 – Glen Rice, Miami
- 1996 – Tim Legler, Washington
- 1997 – Steve Kerr, Chicago
- 1998 – Jeff Hornacek, Utah
- 2000 – Jeff Hornacek, Utah
- 2001 – Ray Allen, Milwaukee
- 2002 – Peja Stojakovic, Sacramento
- 2003 – Peja Stojakovic, Sacramento
- 2004 – Voshon Lenard, Denver
- 2005 – Quentin Richardson, Phoenix
- 2006 – Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas
- 2007 – Jason Kapono, Miami
- 2008 – Jason Kapono, Toronto
- 2009 – Cook Daequan, Miami
- 2010 – Paul Pierce, Boston
- 2011 – James Jones, Miami
- 2012 – Kevin Love, Minnesota
- 2013 – Kyrie Irving, Cleveland
- 2014 – Marco Belinelli, San Antonio
- 2015 – Stephen Curry, Golden State
- 2016 – Klay Thompson, Golden State
- 2017 – Eric Gordon, Houston
- 2018 – Devin Booker, Phoenix
- 2019 – Joe Harris, Brooklyn
- 2020 – Buddy Hield, Sacramento
- 2021 – Stephen Curry, Golden State
- 2022 – Karl-Anthony Towns, Minnesota