North Bend homicide suspect challenges extradition in first appearance


Oen Evan Nicholson, suspected of killing his father and two others in North Bend before forcing a Springfield woman to drive him to Wisconsin, challenged the extradition during his first court appearance on Friday in Milwaukee, this which means it could be months before he returns to Oregon.

Nicholson, 30, inmate in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, refused to waive his extradition rights, which would have allowed a quicker return to Oregon where he faces 10 counts of charge, including the murder of three people.

The three killed on June 18 were Nicholson’s father, Charles Nicholson, 83; Anthony Oyster, 74; and Jennifer Davidson, 47. Completed autopsies revealed that all three deaths were homicides.

Nicholson was in Wisconsin circuit court on Friday for his initial appearance, where he indicated he was requesting an extradition hearing.

If Nicholson continues to challenge the extradition, it could take several weeks to get a warrant from Gov. Kate Brown’s office, who would then go to Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers’ office asking for Nicholson’s return, he said.

“If she agrees to have that person come back, the Wisconsin governor issues a warrant that says, ‘Send him back to Oregon,'” said Frasier, who added his office was working on documents to request a governor’s warrant. .

When warrants are served, Nicholson can challenge their validity by filing a writ of habeas corpus, further delaying the process.

“It could take a while,” Frasier said. “We had a guy in Coos County who was wanted in California, and he fought tooth and nail… he was in our jail for about six months.”

North Bend Police Chief Rob Kappelman announced on Sunday that the man linked to three alleged homicides had surrendered to authorities in Wisconsin.

Sylvan Jaspen, the attorney representing Nicholson of the Wisconsin Public Defender office, declined to discuss the case. The Milwaukee County District Attorney’s Office did not respond to requests for comment on Friday afternoon.

Nicholson’s next hearing date is a July 20 status conference in Wisconsin.

Frasier clarified that Nicholson cannot dispute the charges he faces in Oregon and can only pursue legal arguments such as whether the governors of the two states followed the correct procedures to issue warrants.

Since becoming a district attorney in 2008, Frasier has said this was the second triple homicide he was working on. Discussing the length of the process, Frasier recalled a murder case 10 years ago when he said it took 90 days to remove a particular suspect who had fled to Virginia.

The sequence of events for June 18

The first fatality reported just before 10 a.m. on June 18 was Oyster, who was allegedly run over by Nicholson with his father’s van at Mill Casino RV campground in North Bend. His wife, Linda Oyster, 73, was also run over and remains in “fair” condition at RiverBend’s PeaceHealth Sacred Heart Medical Center in Springfield.

Director of the Coos Bay Marijuana Dispensary, Davidson was found dead at the dispensary shortly after 10 a.m., where she died of gunshot wounds, according to an autopsy.

The father, Charles Nicholson, was reportedly stabbed to death, Frasier said. His body was found in a trailer he owned at the campsite.

After traveling from North Bend to Springfield, police said Nicholson abducted Springfield resident Laura Johnson from the parking lot of the Shoppes at Gateway shopping center on Friday afternoon. Nicholson forced Johnson to drive him 33 hours in Wisconsin, according to a message from his father Dennis Johnson, where Nicholson surrendered to police without incident.

Fundraising to help victims

So far, two GoFundMe pages have been created to help victims in this case.

Michelle LaRiviere, the mother of Davidson’s son Michael’s best friend, has launched a campaign to raise funds for the son, who has just graduated from high school, according to the page of

A fundraising campaign has been set up for Jennifer Davidson's son, Michael.  Davidson was killed on June 18, 2021 from multiple gunshot wounds while working at North Bend.

“His mother was working to provide (an) education for him to improve in college,” LaRivière wrote. “Tragically, her mother’s life was taken by an armed man who entered her workplace and shot her. Jennifer Davidson was a very loving and caring mother who wanted only the best for her son to graduate from high school and go to college to improve himself.

Jamie Liddell created a GoFundMe campaign to help Johnson, asking the community to help raise money to pay for his car, a Honda CR-V, which was left in Wisconsin when Johnson was repatriated to Oregon, according to the page to

The funds would also help him pay for a new cell phone, which was thrown out the window by Nicholson as they drove across the country, according to the campaign.

“This traumatic experience goes beyond the depths of what so many of us can imagine,” Liddell wrote. “As a result, Laura now has so much irreparable damage in her life, not the least of which will be years of mental recovery. However, we can take this opportunity to help Laura in any way we can.”

Louis Krauss covers the latest news for The Register-Guard. Contact him at [email protected] or 541-521-2498, and follow him on Twitter @LouisKraussNews.


About Author

Leave A Reply